Tuesday, March 06, 2007

An amateur's take on making a chappati go round !

Well, what do u all know ?...last fornight i'd been home to meet ma folks. On a sunny sunday mornin ma mom dearest n myself were jus doin a lot of catchin up sitting in the kitchen . She being the great multitasker, that she is (guess all moms are d same !!) was talking to me n @ preparing chappatis @ the same time.

Suddenly I'd a bolt from the blue...why not try ma hand @ making some chappatis ..considering the fact that I always 'd a soft corner for well rounded chappatis ( the ones which puff up real nice n look semi-translucent..such chappatis n mango juice is one helluva combination...boy, ma taste buds are already flooding...slurp !! :D) n a strong desire to be able to make something similar myself, but ma family members 'd their doubts abt my ability. But I wasnt going to be deterred, so after umpteen unsuccessful attempts and making "n" no. of chappatis which looked like maps of certain countries (I'd to eat all those)...here I was on a sunny sunday morning ready to take the plunge again. ("continuing in the course of action, without regards to discouragement, opposition or previous failures" these words by Wills Smith from "Hitch" were comin to mind).

Finally I told Gracykutty(ma mom) of my noble intention n she gave me a stare which for a minute made me feel as if the sunny weather 'd suddenly given away to dark clouds with thunderstorms ..phew !
So after "n" endless persuasions and "n-1" denials...finally I took the first lump of dough (popularly known as Atta), put it onto the circular wooden surface n rolled the lump with the rolling pin. I'd observed that if done @ a particular speed the simple harmonic motion (SHM)of the rolling pin causes the flattened dough to rotate on the wooden pan, thereby resulting in uniform application of pressue on the dough which results in a round chappati. I was nearly there n finally after some SHM n rotations my chappati was ready, albeit though not of the same lofty standards as that set by mom :( but who cares...it was enuf to make me happy on a sunny Sunday morning.